Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 Processor Family Released with Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 Featuring 22 Cores!
Intel announced the new Intel Xeon Processor E5-2699 v4 product family, consisting of 27 processors total. The flagship of this family is the Intel Xeon Processor E5-2699 v4 featuring 22 cores and 44 threads per socket. That’s a lot of cores! But these new processors are not targeted towards the usual consumers, gamers and enthusiasts. These processors are designed for workstations, data centers, servers and even Internet of Things and the Cloud. Check out more details about these new Xeon processors including their respective specs and prices below.
Introducing the Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 v4 Product Family
From individual servers and workstations to clusters, data centers, IoT and the cloud, the Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v4 product family takes performance and efficiency to new heights1 across a wide range of workloads and provides an array of new technologies for more efficient virtualization, smarter resource orchestration, and enhanced protection of systems and data.
Product Family Overview
Designed specifically for two-socket servers, the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family provides over 20 percent more cores and cache2 than the previous generation, supports faster memory, and includes integrated technologies that increase performance across a broad range of workloads3. The product family comes in a wide variety of configurations to allow core counts, frequencies and power levels to be tailored for individual workloads for optimal performance.
The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family can help businesses, cloud service providers and telecommunications companies achieve higher performance and value from every new server, while accelerating the transition to software-defined infrastructure (SDI).
Advanced multi-core, multi-threaded processing
- Up to 22 cores and 44 threads per socket
Larger cache and faster memory
- Up to 55 MB of last-level cache (LLC) for fast access to frequently used data
- Up to 24 DIMMs per two-socket server to support multiple data-hungry VMs
- Faster maximum memory speeds than the previous generation (DDR4 2400 MHz versus 2133 MHz)
Higher performance for diverse workloads
- Intel® Turbo Boost Technology with improvements when running mixed AVX workloads takes advantage of power and thermal headroom to increase processor frequencies across a wide range of workloads
- Improved virtualization performance, including lower latencies when entering and exiting VMs, less VM interrupts via posted interrupts, and page modification logging, which can be used for rapid VM check pointing
Higher performance for technical computing and multi-threaded applications
- Intel® TSX instructions take advantage of hidden parallelism to accelerate OLTP and other multi-threaded workloads that experience bottlenecks due to memory locks
- Intel® AVX2 instructions accelerate floating point and integer computations with support for 256-bit vectors. This technology can increase peak floating point operations by up to 31 percent6, and is now optimized for mixed workload environments
- The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family is Intel’s first processor within the Intel® Scalable System Framework
Smarter Resource Orchestration
With the growth of private and hybrid clouds in the enterprise, IT organizations are deploying powerful new tools for orchestrating and automating data center resource management. The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family includes Intel® Resource Director Technology, which provides deeper visibility and control over shared platform resources to enable smarter orchestration. This suite of technologies help IT organizations improve service levels and infrastructure utilization and accelerate their move toward fully automated SDI.
Intel Resource Director Technology includes:
- Cache monitoring and allocation technologies enable IT to make smarter scheduling and load balancing decisions, implement a new class of tiered services, and provide guaranteed cache for high priority applications
- Memory bandwidth monitoring helps IT balance workloads across sockets for optimized performance with enhanced utilization and improved service levels
- Intel® Node Manager complements Intel Resource Director Technology by monitoring and controlling server power, thermals and utilization. In combination with Intel® Data Center Manager, it enables IT to dynamically optimize energy consumption at every level, from individual servers, racks and rows to entire data centers
A Foundation for Trust and Security
The Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 v4 product family adds additional layers of hardware-assisted security to help protect data and platforms more effectively through enhanced workload isolation, improved security policy enforcement and faster cryptography.
- Up to 70 percent increased per-core performance on key encryption algorithms5
New instructions – such as ADCX/ADOX and PCLMULQDQ micro-architecture – in the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family help to accelerate secure session initiation protocols based on RSA, ECC, and Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA). Intel® Data Protection Technology with Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions (Intel® AES-NI) has also been improved to enable even faster bulk data encryption. With these technologies, protecting data at rest and during transmission is practically transparent for many workloads.
- Enhanced Key Security
The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 family provides an integrated random number generator for creating security keys and a random bit generator for seeding software-based solutions. Both technologies help to provide high-quality keys for enhanced security.
Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 v4 Specs and Prices
The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family will be offered with 27 different server SKUs – including embedded and communications usage – which range in price from $213 to $4,115 in quantities of 1,000. Complete pricing details can be found in the http://intc.com/priceList.cfm. For more details on these new Intel Xeon processors, visit www.intel.com/xeone5. For more details on world records and other claims, visit http://www.intel.com/performance/datacenter.