MSI X99A Tomahawk Motherboard Unleashed – See Features, Specs and Price
MSI recently unleashed their latest motherboard, the X99A Tomahawk, based on the Intel X99 Express chipset designed for the latest Intel Core i7 Broadwell-E processors out of the box; yes, without the need to update the BIOS. Of course it will also support the previous generation Core i7 processor for LGA Socket 2011-3, Haswell-E processors. The MSI X99A Tomahawk features a clean all black design with silver or grey accents. Check out more of its features, specs and price below.
MSI X99A Tomahawk Motherboard
The new MSI X99A Tomahawk motherboard supports the latest Intel Core i7 Broadwell-E processor and features an 8-phase VRM. It supports a total of up to 128GB quad-channel DDR4 memory up to 333MHz (OC) and supports both ECC and non-ECC un-buffered memory. MSI has also added DDR4 boost that gives the DDR4 memory a performance boost and also supports Intel Turbo boost Max Technology 3.0.
The X99A Tomahawk is armed with the latest connectors and sockets like Turbo M.2 32Gbps, Turbo U.2 32 Gbps, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type A and C, and of course the usual SATA 6Gbps and SATA Express ports. It also features TWIN GAMING LAN with LAN protect powered by Intel for the best online gaming experience with lowest latency.
MSI has also beefed up the X99A Tomahawk’s audio department with Audio Boost 3 featuring golden audio jacks, EMI-shielded audio processor, isolated audio PCB with LED line, Chemi-Con audio capacitors, dual headphone amplifiers and front dedicated headphone out.
It also features MSI’s Military Class 5 components and Multi-GPU support with Steel Armor. Other features include XSplit Gamecaster v2.5, SteelSeries certified, Click BIOS 5 and more. Check out the full specifications below for more details.
Price and Availability
MSI hasn’t disclosed the suggested retail price of the X99A Tomahawk motherboard yet, but it may probably be priced at around $250 to $300. Expect it will hit store shelves or online stores in the following weeks to come.
MSI X99A Tomahawk Specifications
|Processor||• Supports New Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Extreme Edition for LGA2011-3 Socket
• Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0*
* This function will be supported depend on the CPU.
|Chipset||• Intel® X99 Chipset|
|Main Memory||• 8 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 128GB*
- Supports DDR4 3333(OC)/ 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 2800(OC)/ 2666(OC)/ 2600(OC)/ 2400/ 2200(OC)/ 2133 MHz
• Quad channel memory architecture
• Supports ECC/ non-ECC un-buffered memory
• Supports DDR4 RDIMM Memory
• Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* For the latest information about memory, please visit http://www.msi.com
|Slots||• 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots
- Support x16, x16/x16, x8/x16/x8 with the CPU that supports 40 PCIe lanes.
- Support x16, x16/x8, x8/x8/x8 with the CPU that supports 28 PCIe lanes.
• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
|Multi-GPU||• Supports 3-Way AMD® CrossFire™ Technology
• Supports 3-Way NVIDIA® SLI™ Technology
|USB||• ASMedia® ASM1142 Chipset
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) port on the back panel
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (Super Speed USB 10Gbps) Type-C port on the back panel
• ASMedia® ASM1074 Chipset
- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports on the back panel
• Intel® X99 Chipset
- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports available through the internal USB 3.1 connectors
- 8 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
|Storage||• Intel® X99 Chipset
• 10 x SATA 6Gb/s ports (2 ports from SATAe port)
- SATA1~6 support RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10
- SATA7~10 only support IDE mode and AHCI mode
• 1 x M.2 slot (Key M)
Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
• 1 x U.2 port */ **
Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe storage
• 1 x SATAe port* (compatible with 2 SATA ports)*
Supports up to PCIe 2.0x2
• Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology**
* SATAe port (include SATA5~6) will be unavailable when installing M.2 SATA storage in M.2 slot. SATAe port (include SATA5~6) will be unavailable when installing PCIe storage devices in both U.2 and M.2 ports (for 28-lanes CPU only).
**This function will be supported depend on the CPU.
|Audio||• Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
- 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
- Supports S/PDIF output
|LAN||• 1x Intel® I218LM Gigabit LAN controller
• 1 x Intel® I210AT Gigabit LAN controller
- Supports Intel LAN Teaming Technology
|Internal I/O Connectors||- 1x 24-pin ATX main power connector
- 1x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- 10x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
- 1x SATA Express connector
- 1x M.2 slot
- 1x U.2 port
- 2x USB 2.0 connectors (supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports)
- 2x USB 3.1 Gen1 connectors (supports additional 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports)
- 1x 4-pin CPU fan connector
- 1x 4-pin Water Pump connector
- 3x 4-pin system fan connectors
- 1x Front panel audio connector
- 2x Front panel connectors
- 1x TPM module connector
- 1x Chassis Intrusion connector
- 1x Clear CMOS jumper
- 1x Power button
- 1x Reset button
- 1x Multi-BIOS switch
- 1x RGB LED connector
- 1x Slow mode booting jumper
|Back Panel I/O Ports||- 1 x PS/2 keyboard/ mouse combo port
- 4 x USB 2.0 ports
- 1 x Clear CMOS button
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 port
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port
- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 ports
- 2 x LAN (RJ45) ports
- 1 x Optical S/PDIF OUT connector
- 5 x OFC audio jacks
|Dimension||• 12 in. x 9.6 in. (30.5 cm x 24.4 cm)
• ATX Form Factor
|Mounting||• 9 mounting holes|