Apricorn, a leading designer and manufacturer of secure mobile storage products, has recently released a super tough encrypted USB 3.0 solid state drive – the Aegis Padlock SSD – USB 3.0 Solid State Drive. Constructed with military grade durability and FIPS 140-2 validated security, the Aegis Padlock SSD is designed specifically to meet the stringent and rigorous needs of anyone who handles highly sensitive and top secret information. Check out the Aegis Padlock SSD’s features, specifications, price and where to buy below.
Boasting a crush resistant, aluminum enclosure rated to over 6500 lbs, the Aegis Padlock SSD is both water resistant and impervious to dust and grit, making this secure USB 3.0 solid state drive as tough as they come. With no moving parts, the drive is drop and vibration resistant, unaffected by high humidity and works in extreme temperatures.
“For those deployed in harsh environments, computing solutions must be built to the highest level of durability and reliability. Sensitive data may be used for mission-critical applications, and failure in the field is just not an option,” said Mike McCandless, VP of Sales and Marketing at Apricorn. “With this in mind, we tasked our engineers to come up with super rugged drive that could really take a beating; one that not only protects data against a myriad of security threats, but physical threats as well.”
Invincible to key logging attacks, all data on the drive is protected with real-time AES-XTS 256-bit hardware encryption and access to the drive is protected with the user’s unique PIN via an onboard keypad.
Validated to NIST FIPS 140-2 Level 2 requirements, the cryptography standard required by the US federal government for protection of sensitive data; the Aegis Padlock SSD has undergone rigorous testing on 11 cryptographic levels, including design integrity, physical security and cryptographic key management.
With software free setup and operation, the Aegis Padlock SSD requires no software updates or admin rights, making it easy to implement in corporate environments. The Aegis Padlock SSD also incorporates security enhancements such as a Timed Auto-lock and Brute Force Self Destruct feature that uses a crypto erase to destroy the encryption key when the PIN is incorrectly entered 20 consecutive times.
Combine the SSD performance with an integrated USB 3.0 cable for data transfer speeds up to 230 MB/s, and you have one powerful drive.
Apricorn Aegis Padlock SSD Features
- Rugged Solid State Drive – Drop and vibration resistant, unaffected by high humidity and works in extreme temperatures
- Crush Resistant, Solid Aluminum Enclosure – Rated to 6500 lbs
- Dust and Water Resistant Design
- Secure PIN Access – Onboard keypad prevents hardware and software key logging
- FIPS 140-2 Level 2 Validated
- Military Grade FIPS PUB 197 Validated Encryption
- Military grade AES-XTS 256-bit hardware encryption – protects 100% data in real time
- Software Free Design – Cross platform compatible, and no Administrator Rights required
- Independent Admin and User PINs – Perfect for corporate deployments or as a business collaboration tool
- Integrated USB 3.0 cable for data transfer speeds up to 230 MB/s
- Tamper resistant – Epoxy resin destroys circuit board and encryption chip if tampered with
- Auto-lock – Ideal for protecting your data when you’re away from your computer, you can configure the drive to lock after a pre-determined amount of time of your choosing
- Brute Force Attack Defense Mechanism – Crypto erase after 20 consecutive failed entries
- Encryption keys are randomly generated
- Onboard keypad protects against hardware and software key logging attacks
- Hardware Encrypted SSD – Real-time 256-bit AES-XTS encryption seamlessly encrypts all data on the drive, protecting the drive even if it is removed from it’s casing
- Super Speed USB 3.0 interface – Backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1 ports
- Administrator Password feature – Ideal for IT departments looking to secure their mobile users, by allowing setup of administrator access to the drive before being distributed to their mobile user(s)
- Variable Timing Circuit Technology
- Software Free Design – No Admin Rights or Software Updates Required
- Wear Resistant Key Pad
- Data at Rest protection
- Bus powered – Powered from standard USB Port
- Perfect option for companies that need to take sensitive information on the road, such as government or financial institutions
- OS/Host independent – Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and more
Apricorn Aegis Padlock SSD Specifications
|Data Transfer Rate||USB 3.0 up to 200 MB/sec | *To acheive these data transfer speeds, your computer's internal drive must be solid state. In the case of your computer having a hard drive, the speed will be limited by your internal HDD|
|Power Supply||100% Bus Powered|
|Average seek time||0.1 ms Access Time|
|Shock - operating||1500G/0.5ms | Virtually shock and vibration resistant|
|Dimensions||2.5 in x 3.3 in x 0.55 in | 64.5 mm x 83.5 mm x 14mm|
|Warranty||3 Year Limited|
|Approvals||FC CE | FIPS 140-2 Level 2 Validated|
|System Requirements||Compatible with all Operating Systems, including Windows, Mac and Linux Requires USB port (for maximum speeds must be used with a USB 3.0 port) - Backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1 One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes; accessible capacity will be less and actual capacity depends on the operating environment and formatting.|
|Comments||Drive Type: Solid State Drive|
Encryption: 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption
Operating Temperature Range: 5°F to 130°F (-15°C to 55°C)
Operating Humidity Range: 95% humidity at temperatures under 131°F (55°C)
Crush Resistant: to 6500 lbs
Price and Where to Buy
Apricorn’s Aegis Padlock SSD is available from online retailers and comes in three different capacities back with a three year warranty. Check out their respective model, suggested retail price and where you can buy one.
Aegis Padlock SSD ASSD-3PL256-120F 120GB – $429 only $391.36
Aegis Padlock SSD ASSD-3PL256-240F 240GB – $629 only $587.77
Aegis Padlock SSD ASSD-3PL256-480F 480GB – $999 only $941.32