Kingston Digital, Inc. has recently announced the new Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD for new Ultrabooks, Notebook or Laptops, small form factor devices and PC builds, and the new Z97 motherboards with built-in M.2 port(s). This new Type 2280 SATA SSD features advanced Garbage Collection and power management for optimal performance. Check out the rest of its features and specifications below.
Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD Features
The new Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD is a thin, caseless and compact form factor SSD, with a dimensions of 22mm x 80mm, which is ideal for new notebook platforms such as Ultrabooks, smaller design embedded systems, ultra-thin computing devices and motherboards that support the recently released Intel Z97 chipset.
Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD features advanced garbage collection, wear leveling and TRIM support to keep drive performance consistent over the life of the drive. SATA DevSleep allows efficient power management and minimal power consumption while also allowing devices to stay on and connected without necessarily reducing battery life. M.2 2280 SSD also features firmware-based power-loss protection to maintain data integrity in case of unexpected power loss or unsafe shutdown.
According to Ariel Perez, SSD business manager, Kingston: “We are proud to release the new M.2 form factor to the channel for both consumer and corporate customers upgrading their systems, as well as the system builder community when designing new embedded applications,” “This is an exciting follow-up to our previously released OEM-only M.2 2260 SATA SSD used in certain models of the ASUS Zenbook.”
- Popular M.2 Size: 22 mm width, 80 mm length
- NAND Flash memory-based: shock-resistant with lower power consumption
- Supports Intel’s SRT: combines capacity advantage of HDD with performance improvements of SSD in dual-storage configuration
- Supports S.M.A.R.T.: monitors the status of your drive
- Supports TRIM: maintains maximum performance of compatible operating systems
- Guaranteed: 3-year warranty and free technical support
Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD Specifications
- Form factor: M.2 2280
- Interface: SATA Rev. 3.0 (6 Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0
- Capacities: 120GB
- Baseline Performance:
- Compressible Data Transfer (ATTO): 550 MB/s Read and 520 MB/s Write
- Incompressible Data Transfer (AS-SSD and CrystalDiskMark): 500 MB/s Read and 330 MB/s Write
- IOMETER: Maximum Random 4k Read/Write up to 66,000/ up to 65,000 IOPS
- Random 4k Read/Write up to 46,000/ up to 4,500 IOPS
- PCMARK Vantage HDD Suite Score: 56,000
- PCMARK 8 Storage Bandwidth: 215 MB/s
- Power consumption: 0.09 W Idle / 1.11 W Avg / 1.02W (MAX) Read / 2.86 W (MAX) Write
- Storage temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 80mm x 22mm x 3.5mm
- Weight: 7.36g
- Vibration operating: 2.17G Peak (7-800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 20G Peak (10-2000Hz)
- Life expectancy: 1 million hours MTBF
- Warranty/support: 3-year warranty with free technical support
- Total Bytes Written (TBW): 230 TB x 1.8 DWPD
Price and Availability
The Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD will ship starting next week, and it will initially be available in 120GB capacity with 240GB and 480GB to follow in Q3. It is backed by a three-year warranty, free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability. Manufacturer’s suggested retail price as of today is yet to be disclosed.
I’ll post an updated once retail prices are up and the Kingston M.2 2280 is available for order online.
Kingston M.2 2280 SATA SSD Series Preview