NVIDIA has officially announced and introduced the new GeForce RTX 20 Series family graphics card on Gamescom 2018 at Cologne, Germany. The successor of the GeForce GTX 1080 released two years ago is the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 based on the new Turing architecture. Yes, “GTX” is replaced with “RTX” indicating that the GPU is capable of real-time Ray Tracing – the number one highlighted feature of the new RTX 20 series GPUs. The RTX 2080 features 2944 CUDA cores, 8GB of GDDR6 memory 9 Giga Rays per second and 60T RTX OPS. It has a compute power of around 10.1 TFLOPS and it’s believed to be faster than last gen’s GTX 1080 Ti. Aside from the RTX 2080, the flagship GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2070 were also announced. The new GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition graphics card and the non-reference or custom-designed RTX 2080 from AIB partners are now available to pre order. Check out more details about the RTX 2080 below.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Graphics Card Unleashed
With the introduction of the new GeForce RTX 20 series family, NVIDIA also introduced a new graphics feature – real-time Ray Tracing and Deep Learning Super-Sampling or DLSS. NVIDIA CEO Jensen spent most of his time at the keynote introducing and talking about real-time Ray Tracing and DLSS. He didn’t discussed any performance improvement (in terms of fps), comparing the new Turing GPUs from the previous generation Pascal GPUs.
This new RTX 20 series will allow gamers to play games that features real-time Ray Tracing “smoothly”. Previously, real-time Ray Tracing simply cannot be done as it would take an enormous amount of computation power. It would literally take hours and probably days just to render a scene with Ray Tracing using the old gen GPUs. With Ray Tracing, gamers will see better and realistic lighting, shadows and reflections. You can watch the three videos below to see Ray Tracing in action. There are several upcoming games that will feature Ray Tracing: Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus and more to come. Check out the videos below. More game titles will feature not just Ray-Tracing alone, but Deep Learning Super-Sampling as well.
According to NVIDIA’s post, the new hybrid graphics capability is considered to be the biggest generational leap in gaming GPUs. Turing is said to deliver 6x more performance than Pascal and can deliver 4K HDR at 60 frames per second on even the most advanced titles according to NVIDIA.
GeForce RTX 20 Series Features:
- New RT Cores to enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination.
- Turing Tensor Cores to perform lightning-fast deep neural network processing.
- New NGX neural graphics framework integrates AI into the overall graphics pipeline, enabling AI algorithms to perform amazing image enhancement and generation.
- New Turing shader architecture with Variable Rate Shading allows shaders to focus processing power on areas of rich detail, boosting overall performance.
- New memory system featuring ultra-fast GDDR6 with over 600GB/s of memory bandwidth for high-speed, high-resolution gaming.
- NVIDIA NVLink®, a high-speed interconnect that provides higher bandwidth (up to 100 GB/s) and improved scalability for multi-GPU configurations (SLI).
- Hardware support for USB Type-C™ and VirtualLink™, a new open industry standard being developed to meet the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C™ connector.
- New and enhanced technologies to improve performance of VR applications, including Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Rendering and VRWorks Audio.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX Founders Edition Features
- NVIDIA is releasing special Founders Edition versions of the new GeForce RTX GPUs. Designed and built to the company’s high standards, the GPUs’ key features include:
- Factory-overclocked design out of the box, with a next-gen 13-phase iMON DrMOS power supply and sub-millisecond power management for maximum overclocking.
- Dual 13-blade axial fans produce 3x higher airflow and ultra-quiet acoustics.
- Forged and machine-finished diecast aluminum cover with diamond-cut edge detailing provides a rigid, lightweight frame for an open design with beautifully smooth, continuous curves.
- First full-card vapor chamber, which is 2x larger to maximize heat spreading and heat transfer to the finstack.
- Enhanced DisplayPort 1.4a with DSC allows a single connector to drive an 8K monitor at 60Hz.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series Specifications vs GTX 10 Series
|Specifications||RTX 2080 Ti||RTX 2080||RTX 2070||GTX 1080 Ti||GTX 1080||GTX 1070|
|Architecture||Turing - TU102||Turing - TU104||Turing - TU104||Pascal - GP102||Pascal - GP104||Pascal - GP104|
|Process||12nm FNN||12nm FNN||12nm FNN||16nm||16nm||16nm|
|Giga Rays||10 GR/s||8 GR/s||6 GR/s||1.21 GR/s||less than 1GR/s||less than 1GR/s|
|Compute||13.4 TFLOPS||10.1 TFLOPS||7.5 TFLOPS||11.3 TFLOPS||8.8 TFLOPS||6.5 TFLOPS|
|Base Clock||1350 MHz||1515 MHz||1410 MHz||1480 MHz||1607 MHz||1506 MHz|
|Boost Clock||1635 MHz (OC) FE|
|1800 MHz (OC) FE|
|1710 MHz (OC) FE|
|1582 MHz||1733 MHz||1683 MHz|
|Memory Speed||14 Gbps||14 Gbps||14 Gbps||11 Gbps||10 Gbps||8 Gbps|
|Memory Bandwidth||616 GB/s||448 GB/s||448 GB/s||484 Gb/s||320 GB/s||256 GB/s|
|Max. GPU Temp||89||88||89||91||94||94|
|Power Connectors||8+8 pin||8+8 pin||8 pin||6+8 pin||8 pin||8 pin|
|Graphics Card Power||260W FE |
|Price (At Launch)||$1,199 FE|
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Pricing and Availability
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 is now available to (pre) order and comes with a suggested retail price starting at $699. The GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition comes with a much higher price tag at $799. You do get the exclusive features of the Founders Edition mentioned above.
Also, check out the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition.
Meanwhile, custom designed GeForce RTX 2080 graphics cards are also available from the following AIB partners below.