Motherboard manufacturers are releasing a new version of their AMD X570 motherboards – the “X570s“. These X570s motherboards don’t come with a cooling fan for the chipset. ASUS recently announced several new X570 motherboards. But its flagship is perhaps one of the best if not the best X570 motherboards currently in the market – the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme. This motherboard is brimming with a ton of features, including the latest Thunderbolt 4 connectivity. Thunderbolt is uncommon on AMD motherboards, and there is only a handful of them. Check out more features of the ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme motherboard below, including where to grab one.
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme AMD X570s Motherboard with 20 Phase VRM
The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme is an AMD X570 motherboard featuring an E-ATX form factor. This means it is one big motherboard. It features an 18+2 phase VRM design with 90A power stages. It’s loaded with a lot of connectivity features, like Marvell AQtion 10 Gb Ethernet, and WiFi 6E. There’s also a dual Thunderbolt 4 that you don’t usually see on an AMD motherboard. Thunderbolt is an Intel proprietary connectivity, co-developed with Apple. It’s fast and reliable. If you need an AMD motherboard with Thunderbolt connectivity, the Crosshair VIII Extreme got you covered.
In addition to the dual Thunderbolt 4 ports, there are several USB 3.2×2 (20Gbps) ports as well. And these ports support for 60W power delivery protocol. There are also two Ethernet ports attached to 10 Gbit and 2.5 Gbit network controllers. And it comes with the latest built-in WiFi-6E wireless adapter. The onboard audio is based on Realtek’s latest ALC4082 codec attached to ESS Sabre ES9018Q2C and ROG Clavis USB converters.
When it comes to CPU support, the ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme supports AMD Ryzen 5000 series. It also supports the newly released Ryzen 5000G series; including Ryzen 4000(G) and down to Ryzen 2000(G). But in my opinion, if you’re getting this fully-featured top of the line motherboard, you might as well power it with the best AMD CPU; like the Ryzen 5950X or 5900X. It does have a couple of DisplayPort out at the IO ports. So if you want to try out the AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, it could work.
Asus claims that it can support up to DDR4 5000MHz (OC) and a maximum of 128GB of memory. There are also five M.2 socket that not only supports PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, but M.2 SATA SSDs as well. If you need a lot of PCIe slot, unfortunately, the Crosshair VIII Extreme only has two PCIE 4.0 slots and one PCIe 3.0×1 slot. So, there’s not a lot you can plugin on this motherboard via the PCIe expansions slots.
Below are additional features of the ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme X570s motherboard.
AMD X570 EATX gaming motherboard with 18+2 power stages, five M.2 slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 front-panel connector with PD 3.0 60 W support, USB 3.2 Gen 2 front-panel connector, dual Thunderbolt™ 4, Marvell® AQtion 10 Gb Ethernet, Intel® 2.5 Gb Ethernet, PCIe® 4.0, onboard WiFi 6E and Aura Sync RGB lighting.
- AMD AM4 socket: Ready for AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series, 5000 G-Series, 4000 G-Series, 3000 Series, 3000 G-Series, 2000 Series and 2000 G-Series desktop processors; also supports up to two M.2 drives and features USB 3.2 Gen 2 and AMD StoreMI to maximize connectivity and speed
- Comprehensive thermal design: Enlarged VRM heatsinks plus integrated aluminum I/O cover, high-conductivity thermal pad, five M.2 heatsinks with embedded backplates, and ROG Water-Cooling Zone.
- Robust power delivery: 18+2 power stages rated for 90 A, ProCool II power connectors, microfine alloy chokes, and 10K Japanese-made black metallic capacitors
- High-performance connectivity: USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 front-panel with PD3.0 60W fast charging, onboard WiFi 6E, Marvell® AQtion 10 Gb Ethernet, Intel® 2.5 Gb Ethernet, and ASUS LANGuard.
- Industry-leading gaming audio: ROG SupremeFX ALC4082 with ESS® ES9018Q2C DAC and the bundled ROG Clavis USB digital-to-analog converter for high-fidelity sound.
- Unmatched personalization: 2ʺ LiveDash OLED, ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, including one RGB header and three addressable Gen 2 RGB headers
- DIY-friendly design: Bundled ROG Fan Controller, pre-mounted I/O shield, V_Latch switch, BIOS FlashBack™, M.2 Q-Latch, Q-Code, FlexKey, Q-Connector, SafeSlot, and Graphics Card Holder
- Renowned software: Bundled 1-year AIDA64 Extreme subscription
Price and Where to Buy
The Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme AMD AM4 X570s E-ATX motherboard comes with a retail price of $799.99 USD. It’s now listed on Newegg.com here and it’s expected to start shipping towards the end of this month.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme available on Newegg.com here.
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme Specifiations
|CPU socket||AMD Socket AM4|
|VRM||18+2 phase teamed power architecture|
|Memory||4x DD4 DIMM slots|
128GB maximum capacity
OptiMem III trace layout
|Max memory speed||DDR4-5100 (OC)|
|Multi-GPU support||NVIDIA 2-way SLI®|
|Expansion slots||2x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 or x8/x8)|
1x PCIe 3.0 x1
|Storage||1x M.2 2280 (supports PCIe 4.0, SATA)|
2x M.2 2280 (supports PCIe 4.0 x4)
2x DIMM.2 (supports PCIe 4.0 and SATA)
|Rear panel I/O||2x USB Type-C (support Thunderbolt 4, USB 4)|
8x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A
|Front panel I/O||1x USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 Type-C header|
1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 header
|Wired networking||1x 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet (Intel I225-V)|
1x 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Marvell AQtion AQC113CS)
|Wireless networking||WiFi 6E|
|Audio processing||ALC 4082 codec|
ESS® SABRE9018Q2C DAC
|Audio special features||Sonic Studio III +|
Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer
Sonic Radar III
DTS® Sound Unbound
Two-Way AI Noise Cancelation
ROG CLAVIS Type-C USB DAC bundled
LED illuminated rear panel audio jacks
|Cooling||8 x PWM/DC fan headers|
ROG Fan Controller bundled
|RGB LED headers||3 x ARGB; 1 x onboard RGB|
6 x ARGB on bundled ROG Fan Controller