VR gaming is just around the corner and this is going to be the next level in gaming experience. However, for you to enjoy VR gaming you also need a beefy and powerful graphics card. EVGA recently announced their latest 980 Ti graphics card that is built for VR gaming – the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition. I’m not sure if other manufacturers or company will follow with this kind of trend. If they did, there will be a lots of different GTX 980 Ti variants thrown in the market. Moving on, for you to enjoy VR Gaming you need to have at least a GTX 970 (according to Oculus Rift’s specs). But for you to fully enjoy the VR experience, you need a GTX 980 Ti. The EVGA GTX 980 Ti VR Edition is basically similar with other GTX 980 Ti out there. What’s new here is that EVGA added an internal HDMI connector that connects to a 5.25″ drive bay. Watch the video below for more details.
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition Released
The EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR EDITION has arrived. Accelerated by the groundbreaking NVIDIA Maxwell architecture, the GTX 980 Ti delivers an unbeatable 4K and virtual reality experience. With 2,816 NVIDIA CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5 memory, it has the horsepower to drive whatever comes next. And with the VR EDITION, you get an included 5.25″ drive bay with front HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 giving you easy access to your VR device’s input. The graphics card also has an internal HDMI connector, meaning no external cables will be visible.
EVGA GTX 980 Ti VR Edition Key Features
- Built for VR: Included 5.25″ Drive Bay with Front HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0.
- Internal HDMI: Connects to a 5.25″ Drive Bay, no visible external wires!
- ACX 2.0+ Cooling: EVGA’s latest cooling solution offers improved cooling, reduced fan noise and better overclocking.
- 6GB of GDDR5 Memory: Gives you access to higher texture qualities in games, improved 4K gaming performance and optimized for the next generation of gaming.
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition GAMING ACX 2.0+ Specifications
- Base Clock: 1000 MHZ
- Boost Clock: 1076 MHz
- Memory Clock: 7010 MHz Effective
- CUDA Cores: 2816
- Bus Type: PCI-E 3.0
- Memory Detail: 6144MB GDDR5
- Memory Bit Width: 384 Bit
- Memory Speed: 0.28ns
- Memory Bandwidth: 336.5 GB/s
- LED Logo: Yes
- Height: 4.376in – 111.15mm
- Length: 10.5in – 266.7mm
- Width: Dual Slot
- Max Monitors Supported: 4
- 240Hz Max Refresh Rate
- Max Analog: 2048×1536
- Max Digital: 4096×2160
Price and Availability
EVGA hasn’t revealed their suggested retail price of their GTX 980 Ti VR Edition Gaming ACX 2.0+ yet. But expect that it will be priced a bit higher than the regular GTX 980 Ti due to the additional feature and accessory.
See latest prices of EVGA’s GTX 980 Ti in US here and in UK here.
By the way, just to emphasize the obvious here, you need to have a PC case or chassis that has a front bay slot. Otherwise, it’s pretty much useless to go with this solution.